Gro-Sure Shady Lawn Seed 10m2
- Brand: Westland Horticulture
- Product Code: WES008
- Availability: In StockDelivery: Within 3 working days
- RRP: £9.95
This 300g box of Gro-Sure Shady Lawn Seed from Westland is a blend of seed varieties specially selected for their tolerance to shady and drought affected areas. Ideal for starting a new lawn, over-seeding worn grass or also filling in bare patches. The 10m2 box features a built in seed applicator too which gives you greater accuracy as well as an even distribution across the area.
- Grass seed germinates in shady areas
- Perfect for around buildings, trees and also bushes
- Ideal in drier conditions
- Maintains colour all season long
- Seed treatment to help deter birds from feeding
What to Expect
In good conditions blades of grass can usually be seen in under 2 weeks, however if the conditions are unfavourable this may take considerably longer.
When to Use
Lawn seed may be sown from March to October. Ideally sow during March to May or September to October.
How to Sow a New Lawn
- Prepare the soil by clearing away any debris and weeds
- Dig over the soil, breaking down any lumps and tread the soil to firm it again. Level with a rake
- Shake the box to mix up the seeds. Sprinkle in 2 passes at right angles to each other at rate of 30g/sq. m
- Lightly rake into the surface
- Spread top soil over the surface to a 3-4cm depth and level out.
How to Thicken an Existing Lawn
- Remove any weeds. Mow the lawn closely. If the ground is compacted aerate using a garden fork
- Spread Westland Lawn and Turf Dressing to fill any shallow holes and to level-out the surface
- Shake the box to mix up the seeds. Sprinkle in 2 passes at right angles to each other at rate of 25g/sq. m
- Lightly rake into the surface
Lightly firm the ground by walking over it or use a roller. This will press the seed into the soil. Water thoroughly. Use a fine-rose watering can or sprinkler. Take care not to wash the seeds away. Water daily until established. In very hot conditions water late in the day once the sun has gone down. It’s better to water thoroughly once rather than several times lightly. Mow for the first time when grass is 5-8cm high. Gradually lower the cutting height to about 2.5cm. After 8 weeks we recommend feeding with Aftercut Ultra Green Plus Lawn Feed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I cover the seed?
A. The seed should be sown onto and lightly raked in to the soil surface and no deeper than 1-2cm. A germination sheet (or fleece)can be used to speed up the germination stage but should still be removed upon emergence
Q. When can I use a Weed Feed & Moss Killer?
A. Your lawn must be older than a year before using this type of product
Q. Does this contain annual ryegrass?
A. No this mix does not contain any ryegrass, however when ryegrass is used in a blend only perennial ryegrasses that are developed for turf are used.
Q. Can I use this in front of my hedge, where my current grass struggles to grow?
A. Yes this mixture would be quite at home in such an area. But please keep in mind that while it is getting established it will still need plenty of water—the same as all grass seed. Once established it will be able to detail with the harsher conditions
|Within 3 working days|
|Delivery charges apply to Highlands & Islands.|
Surcharge applies for Highlands and Islands